The Shoreway Environmental Center is located on the border of the Cities of San Carlos and Redwood City. The facility receives solid waste and recyclables hauled by the general public, contractors and franchised collection vehicles servicing RethinkWaste Member Agencies. Materials are consolidated and loaded into large transfer trailers for shipment offsite to the Ox Mountain Landfill and to recycling facilities for construction and demolition waste, and organics materials.
To save money, recycle as much as possible before you go to the Transfer Station by visiting the Public Recycling Center. Organize your load so you can easily remove the recyclable materials at the Public Recycling Center before visiting the Transfer Station. View the Rate Schedule for a list of acceptable materials and fees.
Public entrance to the Shoreway Environmental Center is through Gate 1 for all areas of the facility.
Public Recycling Center
The Pubic Recycling Center includes a Buy-Back Center and free Drop-Off Center:
Buy-Back Recycling Center
California redemption value (CRV) containers (aluminum cans, glass bottles, and plastic bottles) may be redeemed at the Buy-Back Recycling Center. Customers can also drop-off for free non-redemption curbside recyclable materials (cardboard, mixed paper, newspaper, magazines, glass, cans, bottles, and plastic bottles). Depending on market conditions, the Shoreway Environmental Center will buy-back bulk cardboard.
- Batteries (household and car)
- Cell phones
- Clothing ( used, including shoes and purses)
- Compact fluorescent lights (CFLs)
- Cooking oil (home generated only, up to 15 gallons)
- Electronics (computers, computer monitors, TVs, copiers, faxes, VCRs and other consumer electronics)
- Small appliances (items with a power cord that do not contain fuel, batteries, or refrigerants)
- Film plastic (must be clean, grocery/produce, dry cleaning, bread, and frozen food bags; shrink wrap)
- Fluorescent lighting tubes (household only, up to 6 tubes, must be less than 6 feet)
- Hard and soft cover books
- Household goods in working condition (dishes/utensils, pots/pans, lamps, fans, kids toys and games)
- Latex paint ONLY (up to 10 gallons)
- Medicine/pharmaceuticals (non-controlled substance medicines only, including all over-the-counter medicines and some prescriptions. Includes liquid or pill form, and pill punch packs. Please leave in original container. No loose medicine)
- Used motor oil (up to 15 gallons)
- Used motor antifreeze (up to 10 gallons)
- Used motor oil filters
- Scrap metal
- Sharps (must be in sealed container)
The Transfer Station accepts household and business solid waste, clean green waste and wood, appliances*, auto and truck tires, concrete and asphalt and like materials, clean fill dirt, mixed demolition debris, and other non-hazardous materials and items.
*Refrigerant units accepted only with certification of Freon removal.
Rates are charged by the cubic yardage, by ton or per unit. Acceptable forms of payment include: Cash, Business Checks, Credit Cards, and Debit Cards with a Visa/Mastercard Logo. No personal checks.
Customers who have recyclable items for drop-off at the Public Recycling Center will be directed by scale house staff to the Public Drop-Off area.
View the Rate Schedule for a list of acceptable materials and fees.
The following items are not accepted:
- Hot Ashes
- Sealed Containers
- Animal Waste
- Non-Latex Paint
- Oils and Solvents
- Dead Animals
- Liquid Waste or Sludge
- Radioactive or Reactive Materials
- Any Type of Hazardous Waste
Please contact the County of San Mateo, Department of Environmental Health Services at (650) 363-4718 for proper disposal of hazardous waste.
| back to top |
Array ( [id] => 80 [title] => Services & Rates [slug] => /shoreway-facility/services-rates [view_is_secure] => [view_guest] => 1 [engine] => [view_admin_lock] => [edit_admin_lock] => [archived] => [admin] => [level] => 2 [lft] => 87 [rgt] => 88 )
Array (  => Array ( [id] => 1  => 1 [slug] => /  => / [view_is_secure] => 0  => 0 [view_guest] => 1  => 1 [view_admin_lock] => 0  => 0 [edit_admin_lock] => 0  => 0 [archived] => 0  => 0 [lft] => 1  => 1 [rgt] => 188  => 188 [level] => 0  => 0 [engine] =>  => [template] => home  => home [title] => Main  => Main )  => Array ( [id] => 14  => 14 [slug] => /shoreway-facility  => /shoreway-facility [view_is_secure] => 0  => 0 [view_guest] => 1  => 1 [view_admin_lock] => 0  => 0 [edit_admin_lock] => 0  => 0 [archived] => 0  => 0 [lft] => 82  => 82 [rgt] => 115  => 115 [level] => 1  => 1 [engine] =>  => [template] => default  => default [title] => Shoreway Facility  => Shoreway Facility ) )